Laureate Shelties Blog

A bit of this, a bit of that...with a lot of free spirits.

Friday, November 7, 2008

A Poodle?


A Poodle? That is the most common reaction when I say to people we got a new breed of dog. They are incredulous. I'm not sure if it is that they don't think of me as a "Poodle" person...as someone that can manage hair. Yes, I would understand that as I am not the world's greatest groomer. I get by. Our first Sheltie litters had ones with fitted coats. Starlight Express, Search Party, Poetic Justice. It was hard to mess up. You didn't have to take anything away, you just had to make up what was there. The Shelties in the ring today are done to the nines. Sculpted, scissored and shaped. I can't do that, I'm not that skilled.

Maybe the reason people are surprised is I told them we got a big dog that is going to be our "guard dog". They go, "a Poodle"? Bunny our white guard Poodle! The truth is, I wanted a larger dog, and realized that I am a bit allergic. The bigger the dog, the more allergic I am. So it had to be hypoallergenic. I may never have considered getting a Standard Poodle if it weren't for that reason...I think I was afraid of the maintenance! Now that she is here, I don't know what took me so long to "find" this breed! They are amazing! I am in love with Standard Poodles and I could see having another one day.

As far as the maintenance? They are high maintenance, especially if you want to show. Bunny needs to be bathed once a week and blown dry. So has had eight baths since she's been here. I scissor her, even though I shouldn't as I'm not really sure what I'm doing yet. But I am enjoying every minute and it is like doggie topiary! A change is as good as a rest, they say, and I'm enjoying the change! Adding a new breed hasn't taken away anything from the Shelties. They are still the loves of my life. The most beautiful, sensitive and EASY breed.

6 comments:

Sherri November 8, 2008 at 10:46 AM  

Kim; she looks amazing. Very nice scissoring; isn't it relaxing sculpting away at your leisure?

Mont'Alves November 11, 2008 at 7:42 AM  

Hello Kim, as always wonderful pictures. PLEASE !!!!!!!!! do tell me how you manage to take this wionderful pic. I want to take some like those to my dogs.

Kisses from Portugal

Rui

Laureate November 11, 2008 at 9:05 AM  

Hi Rui,

Thanks for the compliment! Pete takes great photos. We use a 85mm portrait lens and the Nikon D300 body.

Kim

Mont'Alves November 11, 2008 at 2:23 PM  

Well i only have a Nikon D40 BUA BUA BUA !!!!!!!! BUT i am getting a new len for my birthday so lets see how the pic tunr out.

But honestly i think the problem is to find people to help you with the pic.

Well in exchange for some nice pictures from my dogs i can offer some nice holidays in Portugal.

Friends from Canada that own a laeken were here and they liked it so you can ask for references ahahahahahahah !!!!!!

Laureate November 11, 2008 at 3:02 PM  

Now there is an offer that would be hard to refuse...Portugal here we come!!!;-)

Kim

Mont'Alves November 12, 2008 at 6:03 PM  

Just say when. We can even arrange it during the world or the European dog show or even for Crufts :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Labels


MBPIS/BPISS Ch Laureate Immortality 7 x Best Puppy in Show, Currently Canada's Top Sheltie Puppy for 2011

BISS Am/Can Ch Laureate Louisiana ASSA - BOS, AOM; CSSA - BOB

BIS/BISS Am/Can Ch Laureate Starlight Express Canada's Top Sheltie, #1 in Herding Group 1995

BPIS Laureate Epitome

BPIG Am/Can Ch Laureate Jivara

BPIS Ch Laureate Embelish

BISS Am/Can Ch Laureate Santana ROMC

BISS Am/Can Ch Krystalyn Windswept

Ch Laureate PaRay Per Se

Ch Laureate Landslide ROMC

BIS Am/Can Ch Laureate Laredo ROMC

BPIS/BPISS Ch Laureate Dominatrix

Ch Laureate Lutece

Frequent Visitors

Join us on Facebook

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP