Laureate Shelties Blog

A bit of this, a bit of that...with a lot of free spirits.

Thursday, December 11, 2008

Dogs Breakfast

I have been making soup for the dogs for years. Mostly in winter; it makes me feel good. I buy whole chickens on sale; last week they were $5.00 each at our local grocery store. I will put one in a stock pot and add sweet potatoes, carrots, apple, cranberries, tomatoes, blueberries, a green vegetable (today it was spinach) and some whole wheat pasta. Once the chicken is cooked, I allow it to cool and de-bone it. I'll include the cartilage, as the dogs love it. The recipe varies, but it is always a hit at dinner time. This was their dinner today. (Tira picked out the cranberries.) Other days I might add a hard boiled egg to their meal, or yogurt. I've also found a product that is a balanced meal that is raw and in the freezer section of Global Foods. It is called Nature's Variety. I've bought the venison, and I'll add three medallions to their food on those days. The dogs we're showing are getting flax seed and salmon oil added to their meals as an experiment. I figure it won't hurt, and I want to see if it makes an improvement in coat quality.

Here is Bunny lounging after her meal...life is good.

5 comments:

Mont'Alves December 11, 2008 at 4:07 PM  

Bunny being a true Poddle AHAHAH

Sherri December 11, 2008 at 5:53 PM  

Soup looks good and sounds even better. I asked my vet about Flax seed and she said that the dogs can't use it like we do. She said the fish oil is a big yes but even better if they eat Salmon or Sardines which I tried. Steve fishes twice each summer in Alaska and brings home around 300 lbs of fish; the dogs eat alot of it. :)

Julie December 11, 2008 at 7:18 PM  

Kim, the dog soup sounds and looks better than average soup for people. My family used to make soup with green veggies with dried whole fish. I think it was some kind of Encovy type of fish for people. My parents used to buy them in boxes. I remember eating the fish before putting them into a big pot.(I guess me tasting dog treat started at young age...hehe) Bunny reminds me of high society lady. Over all, your dogs are very LUCKY!

Lacewood Shelties December 12, 2008 at 12:45 AM  

MMMMM -- My dogs are all outside picketing right now because they don't get homemade soup for dinner!! I may be forced to try it if they don't come in pretty soon!!!!

Heather December 20, 2008 at 8:21 PM  

Kim,
Keith made your delicious dog stew for our 3 dogs. They absolutely love it!!! Mackenzie crys and goes into his little sheltie spins in anticipation... his little body just shakes... he gets so excited.
Thanks for sharing and posting the recipe.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Labels


MBPIS/BPISS Ch Laureate Immortality 7 x Best Puppy in Show, Currently Canada's Top Sheltie Puppy for 2011

BISS Am/Can Ch Laureate Louisiana ASSA - BOS, AOM; CSSA - BOB

BIS/BISS Am/Can Ch Laureate Starlight Express Canada's Top Sheltie, #1 in Herding Group 1995

BPIS Laureate Epitome

BPIG Am/Can Ch Laureate Jivara

BPIS Ch Laureate Embelish

BISS Am/Can Ch Laureate Santana ROMC

BISS Am/Can Ch Krystalyn Windswept

Ch Laureate PaRay Per Se

Ch Laureate Landslide ROMC

BIS Am/Can Ch Laureate Laredo ROMC

BPIS/BPISS Ch Laureate Dominatrix

Ch Laureate Lutece

Frequent Visitors

Join us on Facebook

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP