Laureate Shelties Blog

A bit of this, a bit of that...with a lot of free spirits.

Friday, December 5, 2008

Week in review

Well there isn't too much dog related in this blog, except that Pete and I took a trip down to Toronto on Tuesday to drop Cocoa off to her handler. (We learned today that she won a Best Puppy in Group, so that is a good start.) We stayed downtown at the Royal York and Tuesday afternoon I had a pedicure and a soak in the deepest tub I've ever been in! That night we had the tasting menu at Canoe Restaurant high above the city in the TD tower. It was a great day!


Wednesday I made my way underground to do some shopping. Costco aside, I'm not much of a shopper. If you've never been to Toronto, there are miles of tunnels with shops and restaurants under all the banking buildings...you could live underground all winter if you wanted! So I began at the Royal York, went to the TD tower, turned right and into BCE place and back to the Royal York. Hmmm... that wasn't what I wanted to do! So I start out again. This time at the TD tower instead of taking a right I went straight...good, new territory. Into First Canadian Place...past the fountains into a food court and ...????? LOST...again. Hmm I find a map, but I can't find the YOU ARE HERE on the map. So I look up, looking for a sign, back to the map. I am pretty lost. A woman comes along and asks me where I want to go. "The Bay" I said. She said I had to go to the Eaton Centre to look at the tree. I hadn't planned to, but since she thought it was worthwhile, I figured, what the heck. She led me to the corridor and pointed me in the right direction. Ten minutes of walking and four Starbucks later, I found it! They had a Christmas tree decorated with Swarovski crystals. The tree had no lights that I could see, but it just twinkled and sparkled...it was beautiful, and worth the trip. I went into one store, Abercrombie and Fitch. I have never shopped there, but it was full of young people, and their logo was a moose so I thought it would be a great place to buy gifts for our Aussie relatives. (They won't know it is an American moose and not Canadian) I found some things and made my way back.

Heading back to the Hotel, I noticed a crowd and some TV cameras. It was Don Cherry giving an interview. Some people were taking pictures with their cell phones and one guy asked me what he was doing. (I thought...how would I know???) So I said to him...I think he's selling suits! ha ha. If you don't know who Don Cherry is, he's a hockey commentator who is flamboyant and makes his own suits. This one was a yellow plaid number.

Thursday I woke up to breakfast in bed. I then ventured back underground looking for some nail polish (OPI Vodka & Caviar) to touch up one of my nails that had chipped during my marathon shop. I came upon another happening. This time it was the "Canadian Tenors" practicing...sort of the Canadian version of Il Divo. They sounded pretty good. We made our way back Thursday afternoon.

Friday I spent baking my grandma Hilda's traditional Christmas cookies and squares with my cousins and father. It was a super day. I saved some crumcake for my Mom if she gets here fast enough...
Pictured left to right: me, Gisela, Judy, Chris, Dad. Taking the photo is our hostess, Karen.

The little oil painting above I painted in 1987...it is me in our claw foot tub at our first home. My nails are about the same colour!

6 comments:

Mont'Alves December 6, 2008 at 3:00 AM  

Hi, what a great adventure, i also got lost twice. One in the markets in Xanghai- China and that was bad because i could not speak the language and they do not understand english and another time in the big markets at 10 in the evening in Fez-Marrocco and that was scary, in the middle of the markets into very dark streets and without a clue of where i was. But both were nice adventures and i would do it again, well i always get a little lost because i am always out the normal turistic path. I hate that must see this and that, the turistic places, i love the real live of the places i visit. Almost as if i was one of the locals, but a bit lost AHAHAHAH

It is quite interesting the fact of letting a dog with a handler, of course that we also have handlers in Portugal and in Europe, but i always find so much joy to go to dog shows that i can not imagen letting my dogs go without me. In fact the first time ever in my live was the last show in Portugal. I am in Switzerland and Denyah staied with a BIG friend that she knows very well to go to the show, so that she can keep her placement as the best dog in 1st group 2008. It was a strange felling to let her go without me, and so strange for her also. I got a lot of messages from friends asking where i was because my dog was "lost" in the show. Well she looked lost but she was with my friend. Even when i receive the pic i saw in her lovely eyes the desperation looking for me. On top of this handlers are quite expensive, at least in Portugal. Once i asked one how much it would cost to take my dog to Crufts, but just the traveling part i would be there to pick her to show her. It was 1000 euros, these people are crazy !!!!!!!

Well anyway they took quite a lot of dogs so there are people that pay, i guess !!!

Why don't you show Cocoa yourself ?

Rui

Laureate December 6, 2008 at 9:48 AM  

Hi Rui,
Yes, at least I was in Canada and now and again I would pop my head up to see if I could figure out where I was...I don't know what I'd do if I were in China!
Our show season is winding down, and the only shows are in Toronto area at this time of year. For family reasons, we can't be away from home the next two weekends, so we hired a very good handler to care for and show Cocoa. This handler is gentle and good with the dogs. She is also "Bunny's" breeder. Most of the time, however, we show our own puppies.

Mont'Alves December 6, 2008 at 11:36 AM  

Oh so that is nice. It is a friend. It is much better then a 100% professional handler. Good luck for the shows.

Rui

Sherri December 6, 2008 at 11:58 AM  

Wish I could have joined you in Toronto; my sister lives there now and they own 5 McDs in the area.

Great painting; you are quite talented.

Laureate December 6, 2008 at 5:08 PM  

Thanks Sherri,

5 McD's, wow...good franchise. They must be busy.
Kim

Julie December 7, 2008 at 3:23 PM  

I live a block away from Eatons but I only go there once in a very rare blue moon. (I hate shoping in general you see....)
On my 4th trip to Eatons this year, I saw that giant Christmas tree and tried to take picture but the crystals were hard to capture with my digital camera I gave up after 5 shots or so.

I remember being lost for a long time when I first went to the undergrdound shopping district. And yes, the map is totally useless!!

It seems like so many of us want to hang out with you in Toronto....

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Labels


MBPIS/BPISS Ch Laureate Immortality 7 x Best Puppy in Show, Currently Canada's Top Sheltie Puppy for 2011

BISS Am/Can Ch Laureate Louisiana ASSA - BOS, AOM; CSSA - BOB

BIS/BISS Am/Can Ch Laureate Starlight Express Canada's Top Sheltie, #1 in Herding Group 1995

BPIS Laureate Epitome

BPIG Am/Can Ch Laureate Jivara

BPIS Ch Laureate Embelish

BISS Am/Can Ch Laureate Santana ROMC

BISS Am/Can Ch Krystalyn Windswept

Ch Laureate PaRay Per Se

Ch Laureate Landslide ROMC

BIS Am/Can Ch Laureate Laredo ROMC

BPIS/BPISS Ch Laureate Dominatrix

Ch Laureate Lutece

Frequent Visitors

Join us on Facebook

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP