Laureate Shelties Blog

A bit of this, a bit of that...with a lot of free spirits.

Friday, June 12, 2009

100th Post: Reflecting

I can't believe this is already the 100th post since August of last year (actually there are more than 100, as the Australia posts are elsewhere)! The idea when I started this blog was that it would be a record of life by the creek...a personal diary of the sightings and the changes that happen seasonally.
However, almost immediately it became the place to put 'Bunny', the new poodle addition, as I didn't feel my sheltie website was the place for all the poodle pictures. The shelties joined in and I added a link from our site and it was public in September. We started to get lots of positive feedback and it seemed people liked seeing the dogs in their environment!
A group of friends and family followed along on our month long trip to Australia; a challenge to blog while on holiday and often being without Internet access. But when we did have Internet it was fun to post the pictures and read the comments. When we returned I put these photos over on our travel blog.
After a while I felt the blog was getting too poodley and I made a separate blog for them; a third blog!
A new template allowed large format photos which then challenged me to try to take better photos. It has evolved to more of a photo blog at this point...but since it is always changing and flexible; who knows what is next.
The blog has been a forum to share pictures, successes and losses; though I wonder sometimes how smart it is to have such a public private life. It certainly has allowed me to meet some great new people; allowed family to know what I'm up to, pushed me to be more creative, but the downside is that failures are also public. The drawback is that you show too much and open yourself up to criticism. Oh well, I'll risk it.
So back to the beginning; life by the creek. Having lunch the other day, I spotted a doe on the island and a wild turkey. By the time I got the camera, the turkey had gone, but the doe was still eating basswood on the island. I looked up and saw another further away in the field.

She stared at me for a good five minutes. I don't think she blinked!

I walked away and gave her an opportunity to leave if she wanted...(which she did).


Heading over to the cedar island. We have seen in years past a doe with twins coming from this area. We're hoping we see some babies this year as well!

13 comments:

Julie June 12, 2009 at 12:39 PM  

Kim, it's hard to believe you wake up to that view every day. If I could, I'd like to be one of your Sheltie in my next life. The one you keep of course:) I don't think I can be a Poodle. Too much grooming! I can see the red barn you fell in love with in the first photo and it gives a nice contrast to all the greens. Love your blog and I hope you will keep doing it for a long time to come. Thank you!

Suanne June 12, 2009 at 2:50 PM  

What enchanting pictures. Thanks so very much for your photographs. I look forward to all of your blogs and the wonderful pictures every day. My two Shelties and I live in a close-in (within 10 miles of downtown) suburb of Boston that is a rather old neighbourhood in terms of how long it's been in existence. Yet there are deer within half a mile of my house. It's sad to think how threatened they must feel by the encroachments on their habitat. I'm sure the deer you see are much happier in all that green space. Thanks for your blogs.

Barb Texas June 12, 2009 at 6:20 PM  

I LOVE your blog and cant wait to see what happens next.

And your dogs give me something to strive for with my shelties. Your new litter of puppies are so breathtaking as is their mom and grandam.

And there will always be critics, but if you do your best each and everyday and have a clear conscience then I wouldnt pay them no mind. People are so mean to each other these days, need to show a little love to one another instead.

Keep on blogging it shows the real side of a very successful breeder and has helped me alot with my shelties.

Thank you for sharing your life and dogs in pictures.

Windsor Shelties June 12, 2009 at 7:12 PM  

Kim, congrats on your 100th post on your blog I have enjoyed your blog and love the stunning photos you take. I look forward to the next 100 posted keep up the great work.

Chrissy

Anonymous June 12, 2009 at 7:24 PM  

Kim, who can critize beauty and honesty? I appreciate both, from you, your dogs and your pictures! Keep up the good work!

Natasha June 13, 2009 at 7:22 AM  

I love your blog, and always look forward to reading your next post and seeing the beautiful photos. I hope there will be 200th, 300th, etc. posts!

~Nat

Heather June 13, 2009 at 7:51 PM  

Breathtaking Kim!!!... Such beauty and pure serenity. I can almost hear the stillness in your photos. I have such fond memories of that view and wonderful visits with you at your lovely home. You need to know we love your blog. Our frequent visits following a busy day at work helps to give a sense of calm, peace, and quietness ... and at times a few good laughs! Thank you for your creativity and allowing us to share the view! Heather

Diana June 13, 2009 at 8:39 PM  

I love opening your blog and seeing the beautiful pictures. How do you get the pictures posted in such a large format? Your dogs are stunning and I love seeing them play. Thanks, Diana

Jan van der Meijden June 14, 2009 at 3:29 PM  

Really great!

You have a really nice and interesting blog! Always fun to read and to watch it.

Greetings from the Netherlands,
Jan.

Laureate June 14, 2009 at 7:16 PM  

Julie: It is a peaceful setting, that is for sure. Ha ha, if you want to stay here you have to not be too noisy and play well with others! Being beautiful helps too...

Suanne: I think there are more deer in the wooded areas for sure. We get to see them on occasion out in the open areas of the field, and for the last couple of years we've had twin fawns. It is a special treat when we get to watch them for a bit.

Hello Barb: Thanks so much for your very kind note. It does surprise me that people drop by for a visit, as I think of my life as "life in the slow lane"...haha

Thanks Chrissy...I enjoy your blog as well!

Itstnme: So nice of you to say! We'll keep at it, and hope for good things...

Thanks Nat! I think you just had your first 100 as well. You're going to have to teach me how to make videos and add music to them! So much to learn...

Heather: Right now the sounds you hear are frogs...it is quite loud, but strangely enough, calming. ;-)

Diana: Thank you! You have to upload your photos off site on either Flikr (sp?) or Photobucket. I save them at 800 px width (sorry all you folks on dial-up). Then when you are uploading you choose the loader on the right side instead of the usual one on the left. Let me know if you need further help...

Thank you Jan! I hope you come back to visit often.

Christine June 15, 2009 at 5:08 PM  

Just lovely feel good blogs to read, with fantastic views and stunning dogs, so thank you.

Vanesa June 16, 2009 at 6:48 AM  

Breathtaking Kim!!!congratulations!!! Is the best and most beautiful blog I've read!
So when I travel abroad, I have not been able to contain and entering the blog through my blackberry! Is addictive!
Ciao!

Laureate June 16, 2009 at 10:40 AM  

Thanks Christine and Vanesa!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Labels


MBPIS/BPISS Ch Laureate Immortality 7 x Best Puppy in Show, Currently Canada's Top Sheltie Puppy for 2011

BISS Am/Can Ch Laureate Louisiana ASSA - BOS, AOM; CSSA - BOB

BIS/BISS Am/Can Ch Laureate Starlight Express Canada's Top Sheltie, #1 in Herding Group 1995

BPIS Laureate Epitome

BPIG Am/Can Ch Laureate Jivara

BPIS Ch Laureate Embelish

BISS Am/Can Ch Laureate Santana ROMC

BISS Am/Can Ch Krystalyn Windswept

Ch Laureate PaRay Per Se

Ch Laureate Landslide ROMC

BIS Am/Can Ch Laureate Laredo ROMC

BPIS/BPISS Ch Laureate Dominatrix

Ch Laureate Lutece

Frequent Visitors

Join us on Facebook

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP