Laureate Shelties Blog

A bit of this, a bit of that...with a lot of free spirits.

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Sword Dance and other Beautiful Peonies

It is peony time; and it is the perennial we have in abundance.

This is from a photograph I took ten years ago. I used it on the cover of a calendar I made for Christmas presents. It is the peony 'sword dance', a favorite in our garden.

This is how it looks now... it just came out today!

A beautiful pink variety.

'Coral and Gold'

This white peony with the red ribbon through it has been with us since we bought our first house twenty years ago. It was originally from the gardens of the Perth Manor in Perth. I think it is called 'Festiva Maxima'.

Sword Dance
This is another white variety. This one has a cream center and is quite beautiful. It came into flower about four days ago and is really blooming now in this heat.


It is a beautiful variety...wish I knew the name.

In the evening light


Meanwhile in the shade garden, the not so showy, but very beautiful columbine are just finishing up. This is how they looked last week...so delicate.

9 comments:

Windsor Shelties June 24, 2009 at 11:31 PM  

beautiful stunning photos as always.

Chrissy

Julie June 25, 2009 at 2:58 AM  

They are lovely. I planted phonies in my parents garden and when they sold the house.... bye bye phonies :(

Pennylynn June 25, 2009 at 6:55 AM  

Peonies are my fav, and I have to say there is one bush that I have(pink variety) that has the most awesome aroma... that is all you can smell when you come up the walk way... I love it!

I especially like the picture of the "evening light" .. what a beautiful flower and shot

anamchara1 June 25, 2009 at 10:44 AM  

I only have one peony, but looking at your photos makes me want to get more!! Love the way you've presented them ... superb shots!

Bren

Sherri June 25, 2009 at 11:30 AM  

Beautiful Kim; I miss gardening in Canada.

Shirley Wong Siara Shelties June 25, 2009 at 1:08 PM  

Wow, they are so beautiful! I like the columbine the most.

Sheltiedoc June 25, 2009 at 2:55 PM  

I left my 30 year or more old peonies when I moved...I did dig up a few and transplant them and they've come up, but so far no blooms. I understand it takes a few years for them to settle in again. They are my absolute favorite and I miss them so much! The aroma is incredible.

Of course, here ours bloom around Memorial Day and have been done for a while!

Heather June 27, 2009 at 9:23 AM  

Love peonies... they are the roses without the thorns. Their fragrance is saturating, intense and beautiful!! I love your varieties especially the Sword Dance and the White with Cream centre. Lovely photo's Kim!
Heather

Laureate June 27, 2009 at 12:16 PM  

Thanks Chrissy!

Julie: love your note...phonies. It is good to say goodbye to phonies! ha ha

Penny: I'm going to have to take time to smell the peonies! If they had an aroma, I didn't notice. I'm going out to check!

Thanks Bren! Must be that 180 mm lens...(jealous). I'm looking forward to your photos with that lens!

Sherri: Gardening in California must be special...so many different and exotic plants! As you know, the peonies are such a fav in Canada as they can withstand our cold winters.

Shirley: I do as well...just a delicate, wonderful flower. That is not the cultivated one, but the wild variety.

Sheltiedoc: Our peonies are later than most in the area, as they are situated in a garden that faces due north. Ours come out usually a week or two after everyone elses in Ottawa.

Heather: Roses without the thorns; I never thought of them like that. I like that!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Labels


MBPIS/BPISS Ch Laureate Immortality 7 x Best Puppy in Show, Currently Canada's Top Sheltie Puppy for 2011

BISS Am/Can Ch Laureate Louisiana ASSA - BOS, AOM; CSSA - BOB

BIS/BISS Am/Can Ch Laureate Starlight Express Canada's Top Sheltie, #1 in Herding Group 1995

BPIS Laureate Epitome

BPIG Am/Can Ch Laureate Jivara

BPIS Ch Laureate Embelish

BISS Am/Can Ch Laureate Santana ROMC

BISS Am/Can Ch Krystalyn Windswept

Ch Laureate PaRay Per Se

Ch Laureate Landslide ROMC

BIS Am/Can Ch Laureate Laredo ROMC

BPIS/BPISS Ch Laureate Dominatrix

Ch Laureate Lutece

Frequent Visitors

Join us on Facebook

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP